9 January 2013

Hubert, I dedicate this post to you. (Boxing Day 2012)

I don't know why, but I could hardly sleep the night before Boxing Day... I ran on half an hour of sleep for shopping... My day started at 7ish when the boys got off work. Hubert had to shower so Lance and I went up to the gym to wait for a bit. When he was done we met up at the breakfast room for some complimentary continental breakfast included in everyone's stay at the Germain. The danishes and croissants were super yums! I should have taken pictures of it but they were really flakey and buttery, just the way I like my pastries! The strawberry jam in the danish wasn't too tart or too sweet, it was just perfect.

Outfit of the day, Forever 21, teal circle skirt, chiffon blouse with embelished sleeves cuff, fur collar, Hotel Le Germain, Gym
Rocking some hotel slippers.
It took us about 10 minutes to get to Chinook mall, the biggest mall in Calgary, and I begged Hubert to park underground since it was super cold that day... I believe it was -26 degrees Celsius? Yeah, insane! It took us 30 minutes to get a parking spot... We finally spotted this lady walking to her parking spot which happened to be in the aisle over and we stalked her to her car..it's the only way to get a spot on this kind of day! Hubert used his awesome valet skills and reversed incredibly fast and followed her right to her spot. Yippee! That's right, Hubert, your 5 months of valet prepared you for this moment!

Anyway, it's 10:30 am and I'm just ecstatic to get my Boxing Day shopping on! I was only excited because I haven't shopped on Boxing Day in a few years. I forgot how packed the malls got, but I was actually kind of used to it, having just gotten back from Singapore. 

Lance and I were Hubert's personal shoppers for the day. Hubert forgot his normal shoes and was wearing his dressy work shoes that clashed with his jeans and hoodie. He decided he was on a mission to get a new pair of everyday casual shoes. What a hooligan. 

I was able to buy loads of things I've wanted for a while. From Forever 21, I got a pair of navy sequins shorts, a studded clutch and a mint green circle skirt. 4 candles and 3 lotions from Bath & Body Works. And lastly from Victoria's Secret's Pink, 3 yoga pants, 2 sweat pants, a hoodie (I really like gaming in lounge wear where no one can see me, hehehe) and a loaaaad of undies. Yay! Poor Hubert waited outside for an hour for me while I was in that store and Victoria's Secret. Sorry!




But don't worry! I was a good friend, Lance and I managed to dress Hubert up in a few stores. He's trying to change up his style for a more business casual look. That's right, ladies! He's changing it up. He got a couple of cardigans and a few dress shirts. What?! I'm so proud of him. He finished his degree, changed jobs, changed look! He's on a roll. Can't stop this kid! Now all he needs is a new lady friend. 2012 was big for him. Especially since he also got his appendix removed and had kidney stones a week after. What bad luck! But happy that you're all better now. :D That day, I got to see his appendix scar... Ewww!!! Definitely not something I want!

It was about 3 something when we left the mall and our mission failed terribly because Hubert couldn't find any shoes. I felt so bad for the guys, since they both worked overnight again that night so we had to rush back to the hotel, where the three of us just climbed into bed and passed out! Yup, be jealous of our friendship.

The next day, started early for me again. I waited for Lance to get off work, we grabbed some breakfast and then went shopping at The Core; a mall downtown that was just newly renovated. It's a decent mall, but the layout is all funky.  Sigh, breakfast was a real disaster that day. The waitress was such a b... I hate it when people ruin the start of my day. The other waitresses were just as useless, standing around and gossiping. Such a toxic environment, I didn't even bother having breakfast the next day because of this one particular waitress... Charcut should really look into hiring new breakfast people.

Outfit of the day, crochet sweater, sequins shorts, Forever 21, Gold necklace, Aldo Accessories
Mukluks, H&M, Guy's jacket, Burgandy

Oh well. Lance and I walked over to The Core which took about 5 minutes to walk to from the hotel. We checked out a few stores, but to be honest we were only there for H&M... I managed to grab a men's jacket for 30 bucks, scoreeee! Plus it was super warm, so I didn't care that it was a men's jacket. To be honest, when it's colder than -15 out, I don't really care whether I'm fashionable on the outside, just as long as I am warm! So far, I really love this jacket, I haven't had to wear the multiple layers of sweaters that I normally wear with my other jackets and the wine color is just beautiful! 

At the beginning of that morning, Hubert gave Lance some money to buy him a pair of shoes. He told us he was judging his friendship based on the pair of shoes Lance and I got him, whether it'd be nice and his style. It actually took us a while to find the perfect shoes which happened to be at Spring. To be honest,  I didn't even want to go to that store and when we got there Lance was looking at the guys shoes while I was looking at bags... Typical me! We were about to leave the store when I saw a pair that stood out to me and showed it to Lance. He agreed that that was a good pair of shoes for Hubert and we bought it. Shows to know how much I know my best friend... Well better than Lance anyways. ;) 

Murrieta's, Calgary, beef tartare 

We grabbed some Jugo Juice before heading back to the hotel while playing 20 questions. At night, I was fortunate to have Lance take me to Murrietas for our annual Christmas dinner. We usually celebrate this before Christmas but Lance was too busy this year with work that it was done after. We had The beef tartare to start which I love! Yup, I love raw beef, I could eat lots of this, or beef tataki... Lance, my sister and I have done it... No shame. For our entrees, I always go for the lamb, while Lance had the chicken this time. And for dessert? Creme brûlée, of course! Mmmm. Such a great dinner, to end my mini staycation.


Murrieta's, Calgary, Lamb Duo
A bit overcooked (not the rack of lamb), but honestly, I love lamb. I almost always get this when I come to Murrieta's.
Murrieta's, Calgary, Chicken
Lance said the chicken would probably be too salty for me and was he right! Really strong seasoning, and cooked perfectly; but he liked it. He said the corn pappardelle was very good too. Really flavorful and contrasted the chicken.

Murrieta's, Calgary, Creme Brulee

When we checked out the next morning, Lance, Hubert and I went for breakfast at Diner Deluxe because I was really in the mood for a typical breakfast instead of just the hotel's breakfast. I love it there. The interior has such a retro feel and the service is always great. I got the blackcurrant spritzer and the double bacon eggs benny with the breakfast poutine. 

Diner Deluxe, Calgary, double bacon eggs benedict, breakfast poutine

Thank you, Lance for all my great Christmas presents this year. You really go above and beyond, and I really am grateful for everything. I truly am so blessed to have you in my life. You inspire me to continue having my dream of a pastry shop one day and even through just blogging. Let's have a wonderful 2013 together, with many more great memories. I have faith this year will be a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...