18 May 2013

Cibo Calgary

Lance and I recently got into habit into having date nights once a week. It's usually Saturdays if both of our schedules permit. We decided to start trying new restaurants each date night as there is so many different kinds of food you can get now that Calgary is turning into quite the culinary destination. Last Saturday we decided to give Cibo a go. We've tried the food here once, but we didn't really enjoy it. I think I must have been in a bad mood or something last time, but we went back for a second try. 

The one thing that we don't really like about this restaurant is the foyer/entrance area. As you step into the restaurant you are greeted by hostesses who are standing a couple of steps higher than you. It's kind of an awkward feeling as they look down while talking to you; kind of like when you're a child trying to talk to someone at a counter. We told our hostess we just wanted a table for two and she told us it would be a 30 minutes wait which we didn't mind because a. it was a Saturday and b. it was extremely sunny and packed everywhere on 17th Ave, so this was ok. Conveniently enough, the other hostess behind her said that there was available seating upstairs where she could seat us right now. Weee! While we were walking to our table, I noticed about 20 tables that were unused so I don't quite understand why the first hostess would tell us there was a 30 minute wait. Hmm... 

Anywhoooo we over-ate like pigs. D=< Don't scroll down if you're hungry. I started with a Cibo Sangria which was pretty good. I like the soft red Italian wine they used in it, but I'm pretty allergic to wine. It makes my face blow up and turn really red. =( Does anyone else get this? 


We had the scodellinas to start which are mini tapas to share. It was 5 for $18. We ordered the Smoked Ham Hock, Buffalo Mozzarella, Smoked Salmon, Eggplant Puree and Bresaola, and it all came with some baguette chips. Ahhh, the eggplant puree was so good. It makes me want to make some now that I recently got a food processor. *Big smile!* My second favorite was the smoked salmon with pistachios. *Drools* I can't say no to smoked salmon. I could eat it forever. The rest were kind of mediocre to me, but that's my food preference. 


Next up we had the pappardelle and the ravioli. Mmmm, I actually really like their pasta. It has all the right flavors and ingredients that makes you just want to keep eating. Originally we were going to share both these pastas with one another but Lance basically claimed the pappardelle. He was saying how if anyone ever captured me and asked me what his favorite noodle or pasta is it would be pappardelle. What? Who thinks of things like this? Obviously him. He loved the olives in the pasta as well and normally I can't even get him to eat olives... What?! Weirdo. 

The ravioli was lovely, but unfortunately I was kind of full from the appies. The sauce was uber creamy and delicious. I'm actually craving this right now. Omg, I can't write about food any more, especially when it's late at night. It just makes you crave everything. Terrible idea. 


What I wore to dinner: top is from Urban Planet, skirt is from Sirens, 
the cream sequins cardigan is from H&M and the shoes are Converse. 

After dinner, we walked around for a bit before heading to Tutti Frutti for some froyo. Yeah, I don't know what we were thinking getting all of that, but it was damn good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...